Friday, April 09, 2010

The Beast in the East

After my arrival to the East Coast and fired up from a season of hucking in Chile...I was still on my game and ready to continue my kayaking. The first thing that came up with the warming weather and rains was the Cullasaga...This run gave me a good taste of just how steep and scary these east coast river can get. I was really loving the volume and safety of my Jefe Grande on this run that's for sure. Take a peek, we had Pat Keller as our guide so things were fast and blind as normal. jk.

The Putin falls of the Lower Cullasaga river, a nice back set for a stout steep hike in.

The first drop of the ever so steep and manky Saga.

Pat getting back in the game...need less to say he didn't loose much style.

That's the look when you know you did something right.

Getting through the crux of the Cullasaga.

Isaac launching out of the crux of Eclipse on the Cullasaga.

Isaac styling a nasty rapid on the Saga. Either you pick a big undercut hole or a siphon?

After a run of that river it was time to head north to get up to the Watagua river and have a nice little race with all the local boys out there. Most of the top boater were in long boats (Green boats, and Tornados) but I just kept to my nice Jefe and did just fine I thought...I ended up in the 7th overall with a time of around 35 minuets I think. I was some good times out there and another new river for me to enjoy.

Everybody all smiling before the brutal 30+ minuet race down to Stateline falls.

We had to start above this really tight bridge and duck under the thing to get the race going...it was a good thing to be up front at the point.

Mark Miller boofing through the big hole at Hydro rapid on the Watagua.

Right next door to the Watagua is its brother the Elk river. Ever since I was a little kid watching videos I always wanted to get out here and run the putin falls of this river. To me it looked like the perfect 50 footer. So with some rains and a bit of luck we got to the Putin and found a good enough flow to go stouting.

Standing at the top of the drop, checking my line out one last time.

lining this one up was the most difficult part for me...it is dead flat above and the lip is pretty blind.

Looking down the barrel to the landing zone.

Sitting enjoying the view after I ran the drop. The falls was totally good to go and soft for me...after a winter of hucking in Chile this felt like the normal routine for me.

Then we have been bouncing back and forth when it rains to get a lot of runs down the Raven fork, which is my favorite river out the side of the Mississippi. Everybosy pretty much knows about this river so I will keep it short. It's like 700fpm and has tons of quality slides and drops. It's like the dirty sister to the Rio Nevado in Pucon...enjoy!

Look at the steeps in the Raven fork, it is quite a nice river.

Coming down to Anaconda falls at the top of the run.

This rapid is called Harges's drop...he must have gotten a bad beat down. Tricky turning boof, with a nice or a not-so-nice line through it.

EG to the rescue...why the drop got its name.

Catching a break in the snowy depths of the Raven fork gorge.

Maybe my favorite drop out here...Big Boy as the Natives call it...scholars maintain that the true meaning of the words were lost thousands of years ago. Ok...you get it! It's a very nice place to spend the day hiking and kayaking around.

And...really....whats a Southeast update without some of the most famous river in the area...THE GREEN!!!!!!

Getting groovy on the Green.

What's the old saying...??? "Spanking" the Monkey.

I love all these river and I have gotten to paddle lots out east now. I have been known to be a west coast boy all my life, but the last two years I have spend a month out here running around and I have to say...the whitewater is really good. I hope you guys enjoyed the awesome shots by Candace and a few words. I will be here for another two weeks and then I'm heading to the Columbia gorge for some what of a home coming tour.

Later E.G.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks so good!