Monday, September 28, 2009

Whitewater River, N.C.

So as soon as I made the cross country journey from Bozeman MT to Johnson City TN with my lady... It started to rain. With a few days after Gauleyfest to kayak I headed out of town to Asheville to get on some brown. I met up with a good buddy Sam Morgan for a run down the Whitewater river... Without any beta we set off for a day on the water.

The slide leading to the Mini-gorge.

The first... and the crux of the gorge in my mind.

Myself on the exit falls... it was smooth.

This is the big slide of the run... I scouted it for the group. There was a piece of wood hanging out in to the pool between drops that I got stuck on. It was alright because it was shallow and I just got out on the log to self rescue my boat. Big drop for sure.

We ran into another group of south easterners... Toby back at it with a nice boof.

It was a day full of good whitewater on the " "... I got an accidental first descent on the big slide under the logs into the Mini-gorge... Pat told me it was very probable that it was a first, because there used to be more logs blocking the route. We had the most prettiest shuttle bunny in the world at the take out... remedy's and we were off to the races and back to the real world once again... I had to get ready for my big trip to Chile. Yep it's that time of year.

Later E.G.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sick pics man! Just FYI that slide has been run by Kent Wiggington and Russ Kullmar way back in the day (late '90s) before the logs, and then 3rd D'd by Tommy Hilleke when it was chocked full of all that shit... pretty sketchy.

Nice work though that's a great river.